Skin cancer is one of the most common kinds of cancer — and one of the most preventable. Keep these tips in mind:
- Avoid midday sun. Stay out of the sun between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., when the sun's rays are strongest.
- Stay in the shade. When you're outdoors, stay in the shade as much as possible. Wear sunglasses and a broad-rimmed hat.
- Cover exposed areas. Wear tightly woven, loose-fitted clothing that covers as much of your skin as possible.
- Apply lots of sunscreen 20 minutes prior to outdoor exposure, and reapply often.
- Avoid tanning beds and sunlamps. Ultra violet rays from a tanning bed are just as damaging as natural sunlight.